Super Easy Vegan Chocolate Tea Cake
I’m not vegan but in the Netherlands it’s common to bring a sweet treat with you for your coworkers on your birthday and I like my treats to be inclusive, so I’m always on the hunt for vegan sweets.
I found this recipe for a super quick and easy vegan chocolate cake on Smitten Kitchen. She makes it with coffee but as I can’t handle caffeine I made mine with a spicy chocolate tea from Simon Lévelt.
The cake is super moist and chocolaty with a little hint of spice and will gone in no time, whether you share it or not.
Vegan Chocolate Tea Cake
- Round cake tin ⌀ 9.5"/ 24 cm
- Skewer, for testing
- Wire rack
- Microwave proof bowl
- Spatula or spoon
For the cake
- 1 1/2 c - 180 gr all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c - 95 gr unsweetened cocoa any variety, sifted if lumpy
- 1 1/2 t - 7.5 gr baking soda
- 1/2 t - 2.5 gr salt
- 3/4 c - 95 gr sugar
- 3/4 c - 95 gr dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c - 120 ml olive oil
- 1 1/2 c - 360 ml tea of choice, coffee or water also work
- 1 T - 15 ml cider vinegar
For the glaze, optional but it makes all the difference
- 3/4 c - 95 gr dark chocolate vegan chocolate is 70% cocoa content or more
- 2 T - 30 gr cocoa powder
- 3 T - 45 ml olive oil
- 1 T - 15 ml corn syrup for shine, optional
- pinch Maldon salt or similar, for finishing
Make the cake
- Preheat your oven to 175° C/ 350° F. Line the bottom of a round ⌀ 9.5"/ 24 cm cake tin with parchment and lightly coat the sides with olive oil.
- Mix together 1 1/2 c - 180 gr flour, 3/4 c - 95 gr cocoa, 1 1/2 t - 7.5 gr baking soda, 1/2 t - 2.5 gr salt and 3/4 c - 95 gr sugar in a bowl. Once combined add 3/4 c - 95 gr dark brown sugar and 1/2 c - 120 ml of olive oil and mix further.
- Add 1 1/2 c - 360 ml of tea and 1 T 15 ml vinegar and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. Use a skewer to test the center for doneness. The cake should be sticky but not wet.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool and set for 10 minutes in the cake pan, before transferring it onto a wire rack to cool completely. This should take 2 hours or so.
Once the cake is cooled, make the glaze
- To make the glaze, mix together 3/4 c - 95 gr of chopped chocolate, 2 T - 30 gr of cocoa powder, 3 T - 45 ml of olive oil and 1 T - 15 ml of corn syrup in a microwave proof dish and microwave at brief bursts, mixing it as you go along, until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over your cooled cake, using a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly and let it drizzle over the sides. Finish it off by sprinkling the cake with coarse sea salt to taste.
- The glaze is nicest when you let it harden overnight, but you can also eat it straight away. No one's stopping you.