I saw Diana Henry’s post on spaghetti with smoked anchovies, chili breadcrumbs and fried egg and immediately wanted to create something similar. So here we are.
I switched out the smoked anchovies for smoked oysters, because that’s what I have (though if someone can tell me where I can find smoked anchovies I am all ears). I also added some sage because there’s so much of it growing in the garden and I am a fan, and added fresh peas because it’s the season. I linguine instead of spaghetti because I think it’s far superior to all the other elongated pasta shapes. Of course you can use any pasta you like, but I think long boys are in order here.
I wanted to top it with a soft boiled egg but I fucked up my timings so I had it with a barely set boiled egg which isn’t pictured cause I couldn’t make it look good, but I’ve added soft-boiled egg instructions in the recipe.
Note I use one pot to cook my eggs, peas and pasta. You could use three pots if you are so inclined.
Smoked oyster, pea and sage pasta
- 1 large cooking pot
- 1 medium frying pan
- 1 Slotted spoon
- 2 bowls filled with cold tap water
- 1 egg room temperature (see notes)
- 150 gr peas fresh or frozen
- 80 gr pasta of choice I prefer linguine
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 6 leaves sage
- 1/2 c panko or fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch pul biber more to taste, other chili flakes also work
- 1 tin smoked oysters drained, there is no substitute
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, once boiling lower the heat to medium, gently drop in your egg and leave to cook for 6 minutes. Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon and place in one of the bowls filled with cold tapwater to prevent it from cooking any further.
- Now salt the water and drop in your 150 gr fresh or frozen peas and cook gently for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in the other bowl filled with tapwater etc.
- Bring the water in the pot back to the boil and cook your pasta according to the packet instructions.
- In the meantime, heat a frying pan on a medium high heat on the stove and add 1 1/2 T of olive oil. Add in your 6 sage leaves allowing them to crisp up, before adding in your breadcrumbs and pinch of pul biber. Turn down a heat a little bit here if necessary. Leave to cook, constantly moving to avoid burning, until the breadcrumbs have turned golden brown.
- Drain your peas and cooked pasta, and mix together with toasted breadcrumb mixture as well as the smoked oysters. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper or pul biber if needed.
- Crack and peel your soft boiled egg and place on top. Enjoy.
- If you are using an egg from the freezer please Google how long it takes for you to soft boil an egg using that.