I should have googled what piquillos were before I made this. Because I ended up making this butternut squash piquillo crema recipe from Lucky Peach presents Power Vegetables with a tin of chipotles in adobo instead.
What’s the difference between piquillos and chipotles in adobo?
Everything basically Piquillos and chipotle in adobo are very much not the same thing. At all.
The latter is mad spicy, the former? Not so much. Still it’s one of my favorite delicious mistakes. Since you can’t get piquillos as easily here, though I reckon sweet red peppers might do. Still, I’ve found no other purpose for chipotle in adobo that I like as much as this.
That’s great but how do I eat this butternut squash?
I tend to eat this vegetarian butternut squash with chipotle crema with a good helping of pasta, though I’d imagine a warm bowl of rice will also do nicely.
I save the remainder of the garlic oil to roast potatoes, veggies, meats and fried eggs. Garlic all the things basically.
The book suggests you can have this as a side (I’m not sure with what though, maybe a good medium-rare steak or some expertly roast chicken) or as I have described above, with some pasta or rice as a comforting main. Even if you use the wrong sort of chili.
Butternut Squash with Chipotle Crema
- Small saucepan
- Microwave proof bowl or cup
- Large skillet or frying pan
- Oven tray and parchment or an ovenproof dish
- 4 cloves garlic Peeled
- 2 c - 500 ml olive oil roughly, see recipe
- 1 c - 250 ml creme fraîche
- 1/4 c - 20 gr chipotle en adobo basically one chipotle with some adobo
- 1 t - 5 gr salt
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 c - 80 gr Parmesan grated
- 1/4 c - 20 gr coriander roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 200° C/ 400° F.
- Confit 4 cloves of peeled garlic by placing them in a small saucepan and covering it in olive oil until it starts to float. Place it on a low heat, bring to a simmer and then turn down the heat as low as possible, leaving it for 20 minutes.
- Toss the cubes of half a butternut squash in a the garlic oil. You want to lightly coat the cubes, salt and then roast them in an even layer for about 30 minutes on a baking tray lined with parchment or in an ovenproof dish. Toss halfway through.
- Warm 1/4 c - 250 ml of creme fraîche in a microwave proof bowl in the microwave at low for 1 minute. Pour into a blender with 1/4 c - 20 gr of chipotle en adobo, 4 cloves of confit garlic and 1 tsp - 5 gr of salt and blend until smooth.
- Pour the crema into a large skillet set over a low heat, add the roasted squash and toss to combine. Stir in 1/2 c - 40 gr of cheese until melted. Serve topped with the remainder of the cheese and the cilantro.