NOTE: This is an older recipe, of which I cannot retrace when I originally posted it before the hack of my old domain name.
You can’t really have jerk chicken without rice and beans. So here’s a nice and simple rice and beans recipe to go with my slow cooker jerk chicken. It’s based on Carly the Prepster’s single serve rice and beans. I’ve made some minor adjustments and I think it’s more than enough for two.
Simple Rice and Beans for Two
- Small saucepan
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml olive oil other oils work as well
- 1/2 c / 230 gr rice
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp / 5 gr cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp / 2.5 gr chili powder
- pinch salt
- pinch cayenne more if you like more heat
- 1 c / 60 gr black beans kidney beans also work, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c / 100 gr tomatoes from a tin, cut up into smaller chunks
- 1/2 c / 120 ml water
- bunch cilantro roughly chopped for serving, optional
- To make rice and beans, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium high heat.
- Add 1/2 c/ 230 gr of rice, stirring continually until all the grains are lightly coated in oil.
- Now add 1 minced clove of garlic, 1 tsp/ 5 gr of cumin, 1/2 tsp/ 2.5 gr of chili and pinches of salt and cayenne. Stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in 1 c/ 60 gr of black beans, 1/2 c/ 100 gr of crushed tomatoes and 1/2 c/ 120 ml of water and turn up the heat.
- Once it's come to a boil, reduce the heat to low, put the lid on and leave to simmer for 20 minutes until all the liquids has been absorbed or evaporated and the rice is fully cooked.
- Sprinkle with cilantro (if you're not genetically impaired) and serve.
Zoek je dit recept in het Nederlands? Ga dan naar vettesletten.nl voor rijst met bonen voor een klein huishouden.