NOTE: This is an older recipe, of which I cannot retrace when I originally posted it before the hack of my old domain name. Unfortunately this also means I can’t retrace where I originally found the inspiration for the recipe.
As Veganuary draws to a close it’s gotten really fucking cold here and there is nothing more comforting than a good risotto on a cold winter’s day.
The secret is to stir motherf*cker
I know a lot of people don’t ‘believe’ in risotto without cheese or butter, but the creaminess of a good risotto comes from the starch in the rice, not from the cheese. So as long as you add enough other sources of umami and stir your ass off a creamy vegan risotto is totally achievable. This roast vegetable risotto is just one example of that.
What do I have with vegan roast vegetable risotto?
I have mine like this, with nothing else. If you have a bigger appetite a nice piece of bread and/ or a light green salad should do you nicely.
Vegan Roast Vegetable Risotto
- Roasting tray
- Measuring cup
- Wooden spoon
For the roast vegetables
- 1 T - 15 ml olive oil
- 11 oz - 300 gr cherry tomatoes
- 2 red peppers roughly chopped
- 1 large courgette cut length-ways and then sliced
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
For the risotto
- 1 c - 250 ml passata
- 1 c - 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 T - 15 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 T - 15 ml olive oil
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz - 225 gr arborio rice
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes chopped into small chunks
- fresh basil leaves to taste
First roast the vegetables
- Preheated an oven at 360° F/ 180° C.
- Spread 11 oz - 300 gr of cherry tomatoes, 2 roughly chopped red peppers and 1 courgette halved and cut into slices in an even layer on some parchment paper on a baking tray, drizzled with olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes until soft.
Now make the risotto
- Mix together 1 c - 250 ml of passata and stock with 1 T - 15 ml of balsamic vinegar in a large measuring cup.
- Now to start your risotto, heat the remainder of the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan on a medium-low heat. Add the 4 finely chopped shallots and cloves of garlic and stir until they have become translucent.
- Add 11 oz - 225 gr of arborio rice, and keep stirring continuously from here on out. Stirring releases the starches in the rice and is the absolute key to a good creamy risotto.
- Once your rice is coated in olive oil and has started to go translucent, this should take 5 minutes or so, start adding your passata - stock mixture, one ladle at a time. You should not add more liquid until the previous ladle has been fully absorbed into the rice.
- After 20 minutes or so, your rice should be soft and all the liquids should have been. You can now add 6 chopped sun-dried tomatoes and the pre-roast veg. Stir everything in gently so the vegetables hold together a little bit. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with fresh basil and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
Zoek je dit recept in het Nederlands? Ga dan naar Vette Sletten voor vegan geroosterde groenten risotto.