Stollen French toast
Crispy sweet spicy French toast made with stollen.
Whisk or fork
- 2 eggs
- 1 c - 250 ml milk
- 1 t - 5 g speculaas spices see below
- pinch salt
- 1 T - 15 g sugar brown or demerara preferred + extra for frying
- 2 T - 30 ml oil butter works too
- 4 slices stollen other breads work too tbh
- 2 c - 300 g red fruit or whatever works for you, optional to serve
- poedersuiker optional, for serving
Speculaas spice mix from Rutger Bakt (linked in the notes)
- 8 t - 33 g ground cinnamon
- 2 t - 8 g ground cloves
- 2 t - 8 g ground nutmeg
- 1 t - 4 g ground coriander
- 1 t - 4 g ground aniseed
- 1 t - 4 g ground ginger
- 3/4 t - 3 g ground cardamom
To make your own speculaas spice mix
Make the stollen French toast
In an oven dish mix 2 eggs with 1 c - 250 ml of milk, 1 t - 5 g of speculaas spices, 1 T - 15 g of sugar and a pinch of salt until fully incorporated. This usually takes 2 minutes or so of intensive whisking.
Soak the slices of stollen in the egg spice mixture, turning them over at least once and heat 1 T - 15 ml of oil or butter in a frying pan
Fry the French toast until golden and crisp. I find the best way to get some nice caramelized edges on them is sprinkling some additional sugar over them in the pan and turning them over at least twice so you get that extra sugar going on both sides.
Serve with red fruit and powdered sugar or whatever tickles your fancy.